This site was the home of the Detroit Tigers from 1896-1999. Wooden Bennett Park was built here in 1896; it was torn down in 1911 to make way for new concrete-and-steel Navin Field in 1912. Navin Field was expanded in multiple stages until it reached its final, 360-degree, double-decked configuration in 1938, when it was renamed Briggs Stadium. While the Negro League Detroit Stars were not allowed to play here, Briggs Stadium did host a handful of neutral-site Negro League games in the early 1940s. From 1954-61, Briggs Stadium was the home of the Negro American League Detroit Stars, a minor-league club that played most of its games on the road. Briggs Stadium was renamed Tiger Stadium in 1951.