Sandlotters Park
tour-sandlotters.png

The southeast corner of Jefferson Avenue & Adair Street was home to a hastily built sports venue in the mid-1930s. Sandlotters Park had a dirt oval to accommodate auto racing, but semi-pro baseball and boxing events were also held there. In September 1935, two of the greatest Negro League teams ever, the Homestead Grays and Pittsburgh Crawfords, played an official Negro National League game here. The park was abandoned a few years later.

© 2020 by Friends of Historic Hamtramck Stadium