Hamtramck Stadium was built in 1930 for the Negro League Detroit Stars, who played there in 1930-31, 1933, and 1937. In 1932, the Stadium was home to the short-lived Negro League Detroit Wolves. From its opening, Hamtramck Stadium hosted all sorts of sports, including White and Black semi-pro baseball, men's and women's softball, prep baseball and football, boxing, and soccer--even midget auto racing. In 1941, the Stadium was acquired by the City of Hamtramck and was rebuilt by Wayne County using federal WPA funds. In the 1970s, the grandstand was cut back to its current size. Since 1997, it has been closed.